Monday, February 06, 2006

World Title Hopefuls - AKA The riders you don't hear much about

Well we've heard a lot about Chris Shivers, Adriano Moraes, Guilherme Marchi, JW Hart and Justin McBride this season as contendors for the PBR World Title, but what about those guys we don't hear enough about or anything about? What about them? Through much thought and a little bit of research here are just a few of those contendors that we don't hear about.

Jody Newberry

Sure we've heard about Jody a lot since the finals but it has been for an entirely different reason. Jody has had a fairly good season so far. He's ridden 66.67% of his bulls, he's 3rd in the world and his new rope seems to be working for him. So why again haven't we heard much about him being a contendor for the world title? Because a LOT of people are still hung up on the whole spur in the rope controversy from the finals. It's been a little over 3 months since the whole thing happend, Jody's moved on why can't you?
I think that Jody "said" it best when he won the event and some $54 thousand at the OKC event. I really think that he's going to be a force to be reckoned with this season. That he's not going to go quietly into the night. That the other riders are going to have to outride him to beat him this season. It would be truely poetic justice if Jody Newberry won the title at the end of the 2006 season.

Travis Briscoe

With his flaming red hair and his "say I won't and I will" attitude I think that Travis Briscoe has an excellent chance of winning the 2006 world title. He's only 18 and yet he's the only rider so far in the season to break $100,000.00. His riding precentage is 65.2% and he's also only one of two men to win two events at this point in the season. I think that if he can stay healthy and focused he just might break the record for the most events won.

Jared Farley

I don't think that Jared has been drawing the bulls that he needs to be higher in the standings. He's riding 52.2% of his bulls. He rode Slim Shady for 89 points in Minneapolis, he rode Super Duty for 90 points in OKC and he rode Sports Machine for 92.5 in the short round of OKC. He's finished pretty well this season. He's 8th in the world right now but I think he's most definately a sleeper.

Brian Canter

What can I say about Brian Canter? He's been compared to the late great Lane Frost - that's really cool in my book. He barely breaks 5 foot tall (even I'm taller than him and I'm short) and he's got float like a butterfly sting like a bee down solid. When he's on top of his game he's a force to be reckoned with but like I said about Jared Farley I just don't think that the computer has been too kind to Brian. He's only ridden 47.83% of his bulls so far this season and he's only had ONE top 10 finish so far. I think that when the computer starts being nice to Brian he's gonna just catch fire and move from 11th in the world to a much higher possibly single digit number.

Ross Coleman

I think that Ross is tired of being known as "Justin McBride's drinking buddy". After a pretty terrible finals I think he may have gotten it into his head that he's got to prove to himself that he's better than the two qualified rides he made at the finals. He's sticking to almost everything this season, he's only bucked off of 8 bulls so far this season and he's already won one event. If he can stay healthy and focused he's a definate threat to the those at the top of the leader board.

Again these are just my opinions. Feel free to comment on them if you so desire.









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home